OA
Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa has denied allegations linking him to the violent disruption of a stakeholders’ meeting of the All Progressives Congress at its Akure secretariat, saying the chaos was caused by supporters of aspirants contesting party positions.
Speaking on Tuesday evening, Aiyedatiwa dismissed claims that he sponsored thugs to invade the venue, insisting instead that the disturbance stemmed from internal rivalries as aspirants and their backers clashed ahead of the ward and local government congresses.
The governor said the meeting time was shifted from 10am to 2pm to allow his attendance at another engagement, and that he had directed the Commissioner of Police to deploy officers to secure the secretariat after being informed of security concerns.
He noted that miscreants “with sympathy for one aspirant or the other” created a fracas among themselves, which led to the disruption.
Several party leaders, including the state chairman Engr. Ade Adetimehin, were reportedly injured when suspected thugs stormed the venue earlier in the day. Eyewitnesses and party officials said the attackers used dangerous weapons, forcing participants to flee and leading to a chaotic scene at the secretariat.
Aiyedatiwa urged party members to remain calm and united ahead of the scheduled congresses, emphasising that internal democracy and peaceful conduct should guide all stakeholders.
The incident underscores growing tensions within the ruling party in Ondo State as internal contests heat up ahead of grassroots leadership elections.
Tags
How do you feel about this article?
Share this story
OA
Oyetoke Adedayo Ebenezer
Admin
Dedicated to bringing you the latest news and stories from Glow Media.
Comments (0)
Be the first to comment on this article!